Kidney stones, also known as urolithiasis, nephrolithiasis, and renal calculi, develop when minerals and salts form hard deposits in the kidneys. An expert kidney stone treatment doctor in Hyderabad can offer the best and most effective treatment.
Kidney stones are often repelled from the body by being passed through the urine however this is an extremely painful situation. Most often, kidney stones do not cause significant harm when they are diagnosed at the earliest stage. The treatment of kidney stones is normally dependent on the individual patient’s condition. Sometimes drinking excess water and taking pain medication helps to pass the kidney stone easily. In contrast, when the stones get lodged in the urinary tract it can cause complications, such as urinary tract infection (UTI). This may require surgical treatment for stone removal.
To decrease the risk of kidney stones recurring in the future, expert kidney doctor in Hyderabad can recommend preventive treatment.
Symptoms & Causes
Usually, kidney stones do not show noticeable symptoms until they get displaced inside the kidney or pass into the ureters which are tubes connecting your kidneys to the bladder. In case the stone gets stuck in the ureter, it may prevent normal urination and cause the ureter to spasm and the kidney to swell, which is indeed a very painful condition.
In such serious situations, you may notice the below-mentioned kidney stone symptoms:
- Sharp, severe pain in the lower back and sides, especially beneath the ribs
- Pain radiating from sides to the groin and lower abdomen
- Spasms of pain that may fluctuate in frequency and intensity
- Burning sensation or pain while urinating
- Discoloration in urine, such as red, brown, or pink
- Foul-smelling urine
- Cloudy urine color
- Constant urge to urinate, or urinating more frequently than normal
- Vomiting and nausea
- Chills with fever in case of infection
The pain caused due to kidney stones often varies in intensity and location when the stone shifts along the urinary tract.
There are several kidney stones causes. Stones in the kidney can be caused by several medical conditions, some medications or supplements, from overweight and even your diet. Although they are called kidney stones, these hard deposits can develop at any spot in the urinary tract – right from the bladder, urethra or inside the kidneys. Many times, the stones form due to concentrated urine which allows minerals to stick together and crystallize to form stone-like deposits.
Although there is no single definitive cause for the development of kidney stones in a person, they form when the crystallization of minerals and salts, such as uric acid, oxalate and calcium, occurs. In addition, kidney stones are also caused when the urine may lack substances that prevent crystals from clumping together and forming hard deposits.
When to See a Doctor
In case you notice multiple signs and symptoms of kidney stones, it is recommended to fix an appointment with the expert Nephrologist in Hyderabad for prompt diagnosis and effective kidney stone treatment.
Some of the signs of kidney stones that indicate the need to see a doctor urgently are:
- Severe pain which prevents you from sitting still or sit in a comfortable position
- Nausea and vomiting along with severe abdominal pain
- Sharp pain in the sides along with symptoms of fever and chills
- Discomfort during urination
- Blood in the urine
Kidney Stone Diagnosis & Treatments
Diagnosing kidney stones by leading nephrologists in India includes several tests, such as:
- Blood test – Blood is tested to find whether it contains excess levels of uric acid or calcium. Blood tests are essential to monitoring the health of the kidneys and may also identify any medical condition causing the kidney stone symptoms.
- Urine test – A 24-hour urine collection test is recommended to find whether there excess stone-forming minerals in your urine or if it lacks the stone-preventing substances.
- Imaging test – High-speed CT scan and abdominal X-ray tests may reveal kidney stones in the urinary tract, even those that are very small in size.
- Stone analysis – This requires urinating through a strainer that catches even small stones that may pass out from your body. A laboratory analysis often reveals the constituents of the stones and help to plan a relevant and effective treatment strategy accordingly.
There are several different treatments for kidney stones offered by prominent nephrologists in Hyderabad. The treatment methods usually depend on the cause of the kidney stone and its type.
For smaller sized kidney stones, the doctor may recommend drinking 2 to 3.5 liter of water daily, administer pain killer and advise on the correct medical therapy to pass the stone out with the urine successfully.
For larger sized kidney stones, the treatments methods include:
- Ultrasonic treatment – This involves using a special ultrasound device that breaks the targeted kidney stones with the help of vibrations from sound waves.
- Surgical treatment – Minimally invasive surgical treatment is recommended for patients with kidney stones which are too large to be passed out through the urinary tract.
It is highly recommended to consult with a renowned and expert nephrologist in Hyderabad for accurate diagnosis and effective treatment of kidney stones.